Thursday, March 16, 2006

Vieux Lyon

Such a nice day yesterday! I went to my "french class" to St. Georges, Old Lyon. It is not a real class in school, I am just speaking french with Maria and she has to correct me all the time. I hope this will help to pull up my poor french!

When I was there, I took some photos of this ancient part of Lyon which is a mixture of the last 20 centuries and so an Unesco heritage, as the guide says. It has really nice atmosphere with cobblestone streets, historic renaissance houses, steep narrow alleys and of course quiet large churches. The sheltered passages that lead through blocks of houses can be found between the streets, they have served as a protection during WWII bombings. Two retro-looking funiculars climb the slopes of Fourviere mountain on which the quarter is built. One of them goes to Roman ruins, the other one to Basilique de Fourviere. Especially the Roman amphitheatre from 19AD is a great place! While standing on the stage at the bottom, I wondered how it was like to give the Powerpoint presentations in there? ;)



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I am online!
I have a Internet connection here in Chamonix!
Nice pictures of Lyon!I started to really like your blog.

Take care.

miskousko said...

heh, the mighty shawn white?? ;))))
you better make some snowboarding-jumpy-tricky-video-shots so i will call you this name and not the usual l...-b.. :)
when you come back yo gonna join me in the french class!
and in some drinking of course :)
thanks...

Vierka said...

miskousko, ta co nepoustujes nic noveho? hadam si sa mi len neupil k smrti? alebo neutopil pri sibacke.... 8-)))