Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Nourriture... or what do I eat here

French cuisine... famous in the world!

First week I arrived I was eating in canteen of Ecole Centrale which is in the same campus. A menu for 2.8€, that was not bad for entree, main dish, desert and bread. I have to say that the dishes vere usually quite good tasting. But the steaks! Bloody hell! If you like your steak RARE then this canteen is the right place for you to eat. But I like mine MEDIUM WELL so I don't eat in canteen anymore. Am I really that principled person that if I experience once something I don't like, I don't come back trying again?

So now I more or less cook for myself because other places where to eat are quite far and more expensive. Well sometimes Jannik cooks for me his special and famous Spaghetti Carbonara (very near and absolutely the cheapest option :) and sometimes I have something small in schools cafe. But most of time, Carrefour is my ingredients supplier and I am the main chef.

My most favourite thing to cook is STEAK HACHE. Frozen steak, 1kg package, 10 pieces, quick easy, cheap and it's red meat! Everytime I come back from Fitness I want to eat this source of proteins. Plus mixed vegetables, broccoli, cous-cous or just bread, 15 minutes to prepare and finish eating.

Then it's PASTA. Million of variations - pasta carbonara, napolitana, bolognese, with pesto, with corn, with chicken meat and cream, with olive oil and olives, with mushrooms, with everything previously mentioned...

And SALADS. With tomatoes, olives, mozzarella (48 cents:), tuna chunks, boiled eggs and bacon strips, add vinagrette and olive oil and its done. Last time I also bough some norwegian SALMON + fresh dark french baguette and had it with the salad. This was the best thing ever!

I cannot forget small chocolate+vanilla cream desserts from whole milk, chocolate croissants, perfect muesli and fruit youghurts. I have to admit that Carrefour brand makes really good products! (Hidden advertising in here. Unfortunately without remuneration.)

All of these things are pretty basic and quite cheap because they are sold in larger or multiple piece packages. But they still taste very nice. When I recall my troubles while being in USA with food from stores that had no taste (or everything tasted the same), contained a excessive amount of sugar or salt, everything was sweet (meat, milk, bread) France comes as a much more better country to live. That's why "French women don't get fat" (name of quite famous book) - because they don't need to eat expensive organic high-tech low-calories natural-grown trendy food and they still eat much more healtier than American women. Well from what I see in my school, French girls are quite okay, you-know-what-I-mean ;)

At last, don't forget you eat to live and not live to eat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mnaam...mi tu robis chuteee. Sedim v skole na compe, ze akoze robim seminarku a uz rozmyslam, aku dobru papanicu si dneska urobim...a s tym salatom s norwegian salmonom si ma uplne dostal. Haha, ja to tu balim a idem urobit nej. cesku verziu ;) papa.

miskousko said...

Dievca s viacerymi menami? A kto ti ich dal? Znamena to, ze ked ta oslovim tym nespravnym, tak sa neurazis? Pises seminarku v skole, lebo nemas vlasty notebook? Co mas rada na jedlo? Salmona a salat? To by bolo docela usvedcujuce. Potrebujem viacej indicii, predtym ako budem strielat! ;)

Empty said...

ty woe, to su asi vsetci francuzi lenivy alebo krvilacny, lebo u nas su tiez steaky zasadne krvave, bleh;-( A varit sa tu neda ;-(