Thursday, August 10, 2006

Once I will be a new Warren Buffet...

The first week in my new job has almost finished. Now I am employed by Czech media group called MAFRA. The group owns three newspapers, one music magazine, two radio stations, one music channel and print production.

I work in the department of distribution and marketing of two newspaper labels MF DNES and LIDOVE NOVINY. The former is the biggest newspapers in Czech Republic which sells about 300k issues a day – I do not count BLESK newspapers which sells 500k but it is a tabloid with main focus on Czech “celebrities” and their “scandals”. The latter is the oldest newspapers in Czech Republic which sells about 75k daily and is oriented on educated people – it brings more focus on politics, culture, education and human sciences.

Two departments are not joined together but the office where I work is called SALESDESK. Physically it is a big table (about 10 people) in a spacious office which is a result of process reengineering (German owners of the company). It is quite interesting because the people sitting here are both from marketing and distribution and everyday there is a small meeting held. Telephones must be hung out and everybody who comes late has to pay a fine (just symbolic 50CZK=2€). What is the agenda of these meetings?

First we talk about last day/week sales and about new acquisitions of subscribers. There is also a topic on media planning – which medias were used for promotion and to what extent. This can be made either cash or reciprocal – they advertise our newspapers content in their TVs and radio stations and we help them to get down from screens on the physical reality of daily paper. It is funny how different media formats work in this symbiosis. Actually you can get almost anywhere because you have the ability to contact people – so you can develop partnerships with sports organizations, cultural events, even with companies. Okay, enough of imagination for now :) Then the meeting becomes more interesting with debates on future plans. There is a wide whiteboard hanging on one of the walls with content of issued newspapers until the end of September. We suggest how the distribution will work according to these opportunities.

I always dreamed of working in media sector and now I am inside. I like the modern building we have, people seems to be nice, pretty girls are common… When I was younger I remember TV series called something like “Tomorrow’s News” about a guy who everyday received the newspapers already from next day so he knew what will just happen. He was a nice guy so he helped people of course :) If I stayed in the office a bit later I could also get some fresh copies :) I realized that I did not write anything about my position! I work in controlling as a junior… so when I will get more inside the topic, I think I will be telling these guys what went wrong or well and allow them what they can do in future! Hahaha! BTW, have I mentioned that I have received my own PRESS ID?

No comments: