Saturday, March 17, 2007

Computer Virus Mafia

I have just spent half of Saturday locating and removing a nasty virus on my laptop. It is called Winfixer or Vundo and randomly opens Internet Explorer with a link to buy some anti-virus software. Also, I was not able to put my laptop to hibernation, which really really sucks.


So I have downloaded some 10 different utilities, spyware removers, anti-virus applications and read at least 10 forum posts to fix the problem. I was offered to buy some premium software but since I am principled I have used just freeware. Fortunately the infection is gone and I can hibernate again (even thought the winter is gone:)


I still think that there must be a hidden conspiracy - programmers who develop computer viruses are own employees of anti-virus software producers. The system works like Italian mafia - you have to pay for their "protection" but the threat originates, surprisingly, from themselves.

technorati tags:,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tak este raz a spravne, prvykrat som nieco zle stlacil a cely comment skoncil v prdeli, aspon vidis, ze ja by som si teda taky drsny virus ani nahodou sam nespravil, mas moj obdiv:) a bacha, z mafiou sa nezahrava! :) good. keep on writing (ivan)